Question

8Candice3

If I am unsure if I actually owe an account in collections, what do I do?
A new account has popped up on both reporting agencies in collections. I honestly don't think I owe this debt. But if I truly do and I have filed a request to have it removed can I get in trouble for filing a false report? Help! I want to do the right thing!

Contact the collection agency and ask them to send documentation. Did you cosign on a loan or credit card for someone? 

How do you not know if you owe someone?  

You can dispute it, but I'm sure they have doucments showing you signed up, or defaulted on the account they will win out.