Question

Redcoat35

If I am the consignor of ed loans but don't pay them, could this help my score?
Mortgage companies have accepted proof I have provided (to calculate LTV) that my sons have paid the educational Loans for the past 6-10 yrs. I am the cosignor but I do not pay them. Could proof of this help my score?

Thanks, Fred

Most Helpful Response

If the student loans are being reported to the credit bureaus, then I believe it should already be showing up on your credit reports as a joint or co-account.  You can't send anything to bureaus to have it reported, only the creditors can do that.  Hope this helps.

Redcoat35

Addison170,

Thanks so much for your response.  To be clear, are you saying if the creditor (firstmark) sends in information proving my sons are paying the loans and I am not that it could help my score?  These loans are already listed as my debt but I do not have to pay them.  My guess is since I am the cosignor they still count as my debt by the credit bureau and will continue to have a negative effect on my score..

thank you,

Fred