Question

Deneve19

If apply for 2 different cars in a week just to see exact numbers, will that count as 2 inquiries?
I am decided to get either a Mazda or a Ford SUV. I went to Mazda first and did the application to see exact interest rate and payments. If I go to the Ford dealership and also do an application there to see exact numbers, will that count as 2 hard inquiries? I am only getting ONE car but I wanted to know EXACTLY where I stand.

Piggy backing off of what icuhowie said, I just bought a car yesterday at ONE dealership and they sent my credit application to two different lenders, so it really just depends on the dealership. They might send your app to a couple of lenders, or they might even send them to 5 - Iʻve heard of this happening. 

I could be totally off my mark here, but I think that it could have a lot to do with your credit - the better the credit, the more likely theyʻll send your application to fewer lenders, since your chances of being approved are higher, versus if your credit score is lower and you have less of a chance to be approved.

if you allow the Dealership to run your credit they will send it out to a number of differernt comanies that will finance the loan for you,  Each one will  be a hard inquire.   NOW if they code the transaction correctly they should count as one,  but you would see more then one hard inquire from each dealership.   The trick would be to make sure they code the transactions correctly.   ( don't hold your breath on them doing it correctly )