Question

TryingToRaise

If an item falls off of your credit report, can someone still collect on it?
I have a default judgement that will be removed from my credit report on 12/2014. My question is....will this debt be gone after it's removed from my report, or is there a possibility that they will turn around and garnish my wages anyway? I didn't know this was falling off until I got my full report yesterday....I did get a letter in the mail from them offering me a 60/40 split, but of course I can't pay that much right now. Am I "good to go" after this falls off?

12/20/14 is a long way off and the offer indicates they still want to collect.  Is there any way you could do the offer they made in payments? 

Unless the statute of limitations for collections in your state is 10 years (and there are a few) then once this debt falls off, it's over and done with. They can't collect then.

Absolutely not! Your credit report is no indication of any statute of limitations or any limitations to collect anything.

The fact that they received a judgement gives them the right to collect, through several avenues and your credit report has nothing to do with it. There is no statute of limitation. Generally, statutes of limitations is from the date of the debt to the length of the statute TO FILE SUIT TO COLLECT. They have already done that. They received a judgement. Now, it is a completely different set of rules for collecting on the judgement. For example, they could put a lien on your home and 30 years from now when you sell it the judgement would have to be paid before the house could close.

Of course, all this depends on the state and the laws regarding the collection of judgements. This is no longer about collecting a debt. It is about collecting a court ordered judgement.