Question

Ebetheaw

If a debt has been removed, why did it lower my score?
I recently settled with a collection agency. I have in writing that they are supposed to "request deletion of any negative information supplied to any credit bureaus." but today when I received an email saying my score has been lowered. It dropped 50 points!

The following inquiries have been removed since your last score update on Dec 13, 2013:

1. RENT COLLECT Collection Services Nov 4, 2013 Removed

WHY IS A REMOVAL LOWERING MY SCORE!?

Most Helpful Response

First off, the Rent Collect is an inquiry that was removed, not the actual account.

Did you look at your actual credit report to see if the account came off or not?  You can check it at annualcreditreport.com.  Remember that Credit Karma uses TransUnion; there are two other bureaus as well, Equifax and Experian.  If I were you I'd pull a free report from Equifax or Experian and see if the collection account shows up there.  If it does, sent a letter to all 3 bureaus with a copy of your letter from the collector and see if they'll remove the account.  While you are looking at your credit report, look and see how many good accounts you have as well.  If you get all the bad accounts removed but have no good credit, it can actually hurt your scores.  Strange but true!

Finally, remember that the score Credit Karma gives you is from TransUnion and it is not the same as your FICO score.  FICO scores are used when purchasing a home.  The only way to get your FICO score is to purchase it at myfico.com or to have a creditor pull a report, which counts as an inquiry on your report.

Confusing stuff I know, but hope it helps.