Question

dweaver86

If a credit card account with a company goes into collections, can I ever get another card from them
I have had credit cards with Cap1 and Chase in the past (circa 2008-ish) and I ended up not paying their balances. Eventually they were both sent to collections (neither of which I paid either).

I'm trying to rebuild my credit, and the collections are no longer showing on my report.

My question is this: can I ever get another card from Capital One or Chase or any of their affiliates again? Or will they have records of my nonpayment and instantly deny me?

Most Helpful Response

You can, But I'd wait.

There are plenty of other banks to get credit from.  I would wait at least a full 7 years since last contact with the lenders to be sure they have purged the old account form their records.  Then it wll be as if you never had an account with them at all.  

It's not impossible. I've had chase go into collections about 10 years ago. last year I applied for chase freedom and was approved but this was after rebuilding credit with secured cars, then a car loan that was co-signed with someone who had good credit, so yes it can be done with some effort. 

One important note is, don't close off any of your old accounts or it will hurt your average of age of credit. after going almost a decade of paying everything with a debit card, every account I had in the past fell off my report so it looked like I had no history of credit whatsoever.