Question

Posted in Taxes

8O02U3S

Idenity Theft & IRS
The IRS has notified me that a 1040 tax claim has been filed using my SS#. The filing is considerably different than my previous posts.

I have not filed taxes for last year yet. Other than to notify IRS, what should I do?

Notify the IRS

There was a major security breech on the IRS's website.  A lot of SSN's and other personal info was stolen in the hack. 

Notify the IRS that you beleive there is fraud going on.  

Here is a link to the IRS with info on your next steps

https://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources/Tools-&-FAQs/FAQs-for-Individuals/Frequently-Asked-Tax-Questions-&-Answers/IRS-Procedures/Reporting-Fraud/Reporting-Fraud

Check reports

Put credit alerts on your Social with all the bureaus so that no one can open new credit lines and check your credit report to see if anything you do not recognize is already there. Need to do it will all three bureaus. If you see anything, dispute immediately. Also file legal report for ID theft based on the income tax filing, so you have proof in case anything comes through on credit.