Question

LearningTheHardWay

I'd like to get into a new/slightly used car at some point this yr.
My credit scores are TU 536 and Equifax 609. I am working on increasing them obviously or I wouldn't be here. What are my chances of being approved?? I have paid off 4 car loans with no missed payments and I went through my credit union. Now with my scores this low, I don't think they are going to approve me and I don't need the hard inquiries on my credit reports just to check.

Wait

Focus on getting better scores rather than getting a new vehicle. Getting a new or expensive vehicle with a low score will cost you a lot of extra money. Yes of course you can refinance eventually if the loan is not underwater and the car meets the requirments, but you will pay heavily waiting to refinance. Work on getting your reports cleaned up the best that you can, make sure you have current lines of credit in good standing and keep reading on how to build scores. Keep an eye on your Fico scores as well as they are the most used scores.

FICO Scores and How to Get Them

Thank you for the advice.  I have had to dispute 2 items on my credit report with TU and they were great about filing a response.  Both items were wiped from my report and my score jumped 68 points.  I was happy with that but am still in the "poor" area of the credit realm.  My questions are:  how do I get my FICO scores and just how many scores are there to keep track of??   I have been trying to put off getting a new/used car car this year but my car is 15 yrs old, paid off for the last 7yrs and though she has really low mileage (65,000!) my very trusted mechanic has been keeping her on the road for me as best he can but she's getting to the point where her undercarriage is rusting out and living in New England and having unpredictable winters isn't helping in keeping her "alive"!  

By FICO score do you mean Experian???  That credit score is 657.  Which isn't great but not as bad as my TU score.