Question

jainbow

I would like to know how to contact the company that has accounts in collections
Okay so I have seen these two accounts in collections on my credit karma for quite some time, but I have not once heard from the companies about my accounts in collections. I am assuming they most likely have outdated methods of contacting me, and if I research the company name in google it comes up with a zillion different phone numbers and I really don't want to give my personal information out to the wrong phone number. I think one of them is for a gym membership that I never signed up for, I had contacted the gym and they said they were mailing me forms to fill out because they didn't have a copy of my drivers license, and the video footage from the security cameras was outdated. I never received the packet in the mail and tried to call back but the phone number was disconnected. I just want to pay these people off but I can't seem to contact them!

Most Helpful Response

You should have them validate your debt

Have you gotten your 3 free credit reports from the bureaus from http://www.annualcreditreport.com ?

Look for the collection agencies names. Once you have the correct collection agencies, you should also contact them via certified mail. Always start with a debt validation letter to the collection agencies. Request the amount owed and who the original creditor is. They will have 5 days to respond. They'll send you a letter stating the information and you have 30 days to respond if it's correct or not. 

If you actually signed up for a gym membership, you would have signed a contract, right? The credit agency should come up with some evidence like a signed contract to validate your debt. Most debt agencies won't bother and will remove the debt from your records. There are sample letters everywhere for validation of debt letters.

This is all under TheFDCPA Federal Debt Collections Practices Act .