Question

Butterflies001

I was recently hospitalized and am receiving numerous bills and am paying each one what I can.
I called one to try to set up a payment plan who stated they would accept $50.00 this time but stated that if I didn't pay at least $400.00/month they would have to take"further measures". I'm assuming they meant they would report this to the credit bureau and may possibly garanshe (sp?) my wages. Is there anything I can do to prevent this as I am unable to pay what they ask.

Thanking you ahead of time for any advise you offer.

Most Helpful Response

Sounds like you are dealing with very unscrupulous folks.  Contact the hospital, ask to speak to the person in charge of the Medical Account Resolution Process.  Tell them what these knuckleheads are threatening you with (they can't garnish your wages) and tell them you want to know what kind of financial assistance is available in accordance with the HFMA Best Practices for Patient Financial Communications.  Be persistent and stubborn.  If they call you again, ask to speak to someone in charge at the hospital.  Keep paying what you can and don't let them scare you.  They may report late payments on your credit report, but hopefully you can get this worked out and that won't happen.  Best of luck!!