Question

locachobee

I was never given an opportunity to pay a balance that i was'nt aware of.
I was contacted by a collection company for an upaid dept (Directv) that I was not aware of. Why didnt Directv call me or send a letter thay have all my contact info? Instead the send it to collection whithout a chance to pay it. Can they do this what can I do? I would have paid it had they contacted me...

They may have sent it to an old address. First you need to verify that the debt is yours. Ask the collection agency for a verification letter. They should be able to show you the contract you signed (with your signature) and the bill in question. If they can't verify that it's your debt then you can dispute it with the CRB and have it removed. They will only remove it if the debt is not yours.

If the debt is yours then call DirectTV, explain the situation and ask to take care of it and to have the reported issue removed from your report. What will likely happen is you'll pay DT and then they have to contact the collection agency to have the debt expunged from your report. GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!!