Question

Seraph007

I was hit with a wage garnishment from nearly 15 years ago out of no where
I was hit with a wage garnishment from nearly 15 years ago. I was sent a letter of notification for a garnishment from my employer and the next week had 15% of my check being taken. I received no legal paperwork from a court about any sort of suit that i imagine would have have to occurred. That way I would at least have some knowledge of this coming. From the paperwork that I received, this is from a law office in a different part of the state. I've made several attempts to contact the law office, always getting voice mail and no return call. I thought this was written off and the negative impact on my credit was done. Now this. Do I have any recourse? How could this have happened without the court notifying me. This doesn't seem legal.

The only way a garnishment can take place is through a court action to obtain a judgement and judgements can be renewed at the creditor's discretion.  A lot depends on why the garnishment took place.  If it was due to back child support or alimony, it is NOT going to drop off and must be paid.  Since you "thought it had been written off" you knew this was going to happen eventually and had apparently been served before, so, unless an attorney has a different bent, it looks like you're just gooing to have to pay up , finally.