Question

BladeVamp

I was an authorized user on a card I didn't know could affect me, now it has. What do I do?
My mother added me as an authorized user on one of her cards. Now due to some poor decision making her identity was stolen and someone racked up a huge bill on it. I went to apply for a finance and found that her card made my (what I thought to be 750 score) score into a 542 on credit card portion of the Equifax check the dealership ran. I was added when I was 17 or 18 and knew nothing about the risks, now I'm 22 and learning about all the BS and don't know what to do. Does anyone have suggestions on how to reverse this? She did just recently remove me, but that card still shows up on 2 of my reports. Will it still affect me? Please help!

Most Helpful Response

I got the answer right from the source

In an answer to a similar question listed on the Experian website by an Experian Team Member......

"Any account that is listed on your credit report could factor in to your credit scores. While most scoring systems incorporate authorized user accounts into the calculation some may not weight them as strongly because the authorized user has no responsibility for repayment of the debt.

However, an authorized user account can be a great first step in establishing a credit report if you can be added to an account that is always paid as agreed.

Since you are not responsible for payments on the account as an authorized user, you can request the account be removed from your report if there is negative information in the payment history, such as late payments. You lose the history, but you avoid having a negative credit reference. That makes becoming an authorized user a fairly risk free way to establish a credit a credit history and begin building a positive payment record."

In addition to that answer, there is also the law that says a company will violate provisions of the FDCPA by implying that the legal status of the debt is collectible simply by reporting the alleged debt to the credit bureaus. The exact statute:

[15 USC 1692e]
(2) The false representation of --

(A)  the legal status of the alleged debt

If the item fails to fall off on its own after about 3 months, you may dispute the item for removal.

Hope this helps, and please thumbs up if it does.

Time heals all....

If you have recently been removed as an authorized user the account will actually drop off as if it was never there.  As an authorized user you are not responsible for payments or other billing obligations, so credit bureaus don’t report items of authorized users after they drop the card.  Since it’s illegal to report a debt that is not collectable, the bureaus have a responsibility to remove the account once you drop the card as an authorized user.

Just give it some time (no more than about 3 months) and your credit report will update and your score will no longer count the card in your history.

Please thumbs up if this helps.

BladeVamp

Really? How do you know about this and what is your experience? I'm just asking because I want reassurance, but if so thanks for the information! I'm sad I still can't buy a car, but at least my credit will return to normal.