Question

KarmaKarma71

I was an Authorized User, is it still affecting my score?
My brother had added me as an AU for a year or so and I had the CC issuer remove me in spring 2012. There was a balance of about $9,800 on a 10k limit. Even though I paid down all my CCs under 10%, CK is showing me with about 92% usage and shows last activity on that card as spring 2012. Is this old AU account that had a high balance affecting my CK score? And more importantly, is it affecting my real FICO? Thank you!!

If it is showing on your credit report then it is likely being reported inaccurately. You need to contact the credit card company and demand that it be corrected. If they refuse then you need to dispute the item with the credit bureaus. Here is what Experian says about authorized users...

Apr
24

2013

Authorized user accounts could factor in to credit scores

Posted by experian.team under Featured, Report Advice

Dear Experian,

Do items on my credit report in which I am listed as an “authorized user” contribute to my score?

- DRH

Dear DRH,

Any account that is listed on your credit report could factor in to your credit scores. While most scoring systems incorporate authorized user accounts into the calculation some may not weight them as strongly because the authorized user has no responsibility for repayment of the debt.

However, an authorized user account can be a great first step in establishing a credit report if you can be added to an account that is always paid as agreed.

Since you are not responsible for payments on the account as an authorized user, you can request the account be removed from your report if there is negative information in the payment history, such as late payments. You lose the history, but you avoid having a negative credit reference. That makes becoming an authorized user a fairly risk free way to establish a credit a credit history and begin building a positive payment record.

Thanks for asking.

The “Ask Experian” team