Question

ChyMauria

I want to write a letter to my mortgage company and the attorney general ...
explaining why I was 1 month behind for several months...., and since I have been loyal and on time for the other 7 years, ask for forgiveness of the late payments. If they can't erase my late payments from the history, can I ask them to write a letter to the credit beuros in my favor? And should I include a template? Thanx!!

You can write your mortgage company at any time and make your request for them to erase the late payment.  The decison to do it or not is entirely theirs to make.  If they won't remove it, I highly doubt they will write a letter to the bureau on your behalf.   You can file a dispute that you were not late (although you were, no matter the reason) then when the decide against you, you can add your own letter to the file with an explanation.   The question is, "who reads an explanation.  One late payment is not uncommon and according to data on this site, only 8% of persons have never been late.   (I say that because I have 100% on time payments and the site says I'm in the 92% percentile.)   While your late payment will be on your record for 7 years, the truth is that we all fall down every now and again.  Its what we do when we fall down that many creditors look at.   Routinely, they will look at a 2 year payment history.   So, in honesty, sit back and be timely for the next two years.   You mentioned a copy to the attorney general - they would only be of assistance if there was foul play by the mortgage company.  The attorney general will have no recourse for your late payment and cannot force your mortgage company to remove the late payment.   Besides, if it was meant to intimidate the mortgage company to do as you ask, I doubt that an included idle threat will be in your favor.  Make your letter between you and your mortgage company and don't forget to say "Please"

You mentioned the attorney general who nmwouled have nothing to do with the mortgage account. Since you admitted you were late making your payments for several months, that is a fact that must be lived with.  Keep all payments now on time, every time and the late payments of the past will become increasingly less important.