Question

simpleme23

I want to close my 2nd oldest card not the oldest...how much do you think this will affect my score?
I want to close it because it gives me available credit of 1820 and It is not rewarding. capital one just acquired direct merchants bank and the interest on this is outrageous...I have 10k available credit put use very little. How will this affect my score....my oldest card is open and active, I have good credit and just want to do away with this card....so, that I can acquire lower interest rate one's in the future or open a personal line, etc....this would be done slowly. I don't want this card if i go and by a home, i may have too much available, ect or should i just decrease the amount available to em? which is better in relation to my score and least impact

Unless you are paying an anual fee you may as well leave it open and never use it. This will increase your total available credit a + and extend your average age of credit a +. Just don't use it that's what I do. Lots of unused cards. Closing accounts only hurts. That said if there is a fee close it and save that money. It won't hurt to you too terrible. You could easily be back to where your at in a couple of months after closing. As long as you are not carrying high balances.

Addison170

The only bad thing is if you never use it, the card company may close the account due to inactivity.  I use mine once a year for a tank of gas, then pay it right off.