Question

RN1989

I want to close accounts, but don't want to hurt my credit score
I am finally at that life stage where I was just approved for "real" credit cards - you know, the kind with decent limits and actual rewards. So I'd like to close at least one of my two old student cards - one has a $300 limit, the other $500. Unfortunately, these are the oldest accounts I've opened. Is that going to significantly damage my credit score? And if so, is there harm in keeping them open but not using them? I'd at least really like to close the $300 one because of annual fees.

Keep the cards.

You might want to use them once in a while to keep the accounts active, but otherwise keep them in ma safe place.  Their total credit limit coupled with the limit on the "real" cards you have and their age work to help your credit score.