Question

nicholanico404

I want to build my credit and Im only 21, what can I do?
My transunion score is 709 and Ive had a secured card for 7 months through my credit union. This is my only form of credit history. I applied for a chase freedom card after having my secured card for six months and I was denied. I pay my balance in full and on time every month. Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of getting approved for a cash rewards credit card without damaging my score with hard inquiries?

Most Helpful Response

both are unsecured and apply for any sort of credit will cause a inquiry dropping your score @ 5 points but within 6 months your account with on time payments and keep utilization under 20% preferablly under 10% your score will sky rocket 30+ points

In order to build your credit you need 2 lines of credit....credit cards are the simplest to get unfortunately chase has a rule that you need 2 years of history before they will even consider giving you a card......no one wants to take a risk on new credit but once you have excellent credit they will hound you and beg....with a score of 709 you have 2 options go for a quicksilver One (mastercard version) cash rewards card 1.5% cashback with a $39 annual fee so if you spend $2600 per year the cashback will pay the fee (in the form of a reward check back to you even though you technically have to pay $3 per month or lump $35) or you can wait 3-4 months keep doing what your doing and go for the capital one Quicksilver card (visa version no fee 1.5% cashback) the reason I suggest both is because with your score your GUARENTEED to get the mastercard version average score is 618 lowest 563 while the visa version is average 714 lowest 642 chances are good but not guarenteed