Question

alysmith89

I want to apply for a new credit card, score is in the low "poor" range
I want to apply for an Amex, score is in the low "poor" range but has been increasing (40 pts over the last year with 20pts within the last two months) student loans are high along with a car loan, 100% on time payments on everything though. I have 6 hard inquireies on my report but that is from when I was shopping for a car loan. I have been denied for this particular card before but it was when my credit score was much lower and didn't have much credit history. Average length of account open is just under 5 years.

Question is: should I apply now for the card again and risk it hurting my credit score or wait a few months longer and see how much my score increases and apply then?

Most Helpful Response

if you don't have a score of 720+ your just wasting your time applying for an AMEX card its for elite consumers only wait till you get a score of 720+ then apply....you do this by limiting your inquires each one costs you 3-5 points (for you thats 20-30 points) DON'T miss a payment looks like you've kept up on that....get your current credit utilization between 1%-10% this will maximize the points your recieve very hard for alot of people but this will add about 10 points to your score by dropping utilization from the standard 20% to under 10%