Question

lovelyme14

I use my card consistently, but still showing 0% Utilization...HELP!!
Is Credit Karma slow to update? I have been using my Capital One card for almost 3 months now and it is STILL showing 0% credit card utilization. Even the credit tracker on my Capital Once app is showing 0% utilization. I have been using it every month and paying it off on time each month, trying to improve my credit. I even CURRENTLY have a $55 balance on one card and a $39 on my new card I just activated...and still, showing NO activity on my credit report.

Most Helpful Response

Capital One sends the credit bureau information regarding your balance and activity just once per month. It's a snapshot of your utilization rate that day, not an average for the month.  If there is no balance on your card the day the send the report, your "reported balance" will be $0. Your reported balance and current balance will not always be the same thing. I hope that helps!

lovelyme14

Makes perfect sense, thank you for your response! I understand now. 

iamstupid1

Does Chase's Visa accounts do the same thing?  

I keep a balance at all times (between 1-3% of my limit) and it causes my scores to increase (as opposed to paying off balances every month).  Strange but it really works (I have a 779 score).

lovelyme14

I was reading about this and saw that people were saying they do this...I definitely want to increase my credit score but I also don't want to pay interest LOL. I will carry a small balance this time around and see what happens. Thank you. 

Floridabiker777

Same here.  And would you know my Experian score says I don't have enough usage!  The cc companies should report that you use your card every month regardless of the fact that you don't carry a balance.  Seems like they want some interest.  My hubby charges his meals during work, etc. & we PIF & rotate each card so that all are used.  I also charged some lighting recently and am going to pay it off in a few months.  Only because it was 12 mos same as cash.  That should help.  We all want the over 800 score only without the debt or the interest. lol

Credit Utilization

I have several credit cards to include Visa and American Express.  I use them frequently, but always pay the balance due in full each month.  My Visa card always has a balance if you check as there are always charges posted after the closing date, yet my utilization rate is shown as 0.  When I go on a trip my balance can easily go to several thoursand dollars.  Regardless my utilization rate stays 0.  As i refuse to pay interest, I will not leave a balance unpaid to improve my utilization score.  So why is my score being penalized when I am an excellent credit risk.  The logic of that is like calling "self check out" a "customer service" when in fact they have made you an employee doing work that they used to provide for you as an ordinary customer service.