Question

acegrader33

I specifically asked the car dealer if they were doing a hard or soft query and they were wrong
They said soft, but it shows up on my report as a hard inquiry affecting my score. Also the hard check was duplicated by the car manufacturer which I never dealt with. Is this something I can dispute? I don't feel like I authorized these queries.

I just bought a car so can make some pretty well informed answers.  No inquiry is made unless you have done some of the papers that includes your Social Security number so you really did authorize the inquiries.  And any major purchase is going to generate one or more hard inquiries because the seller will try- getting you the best interest rate possible. Inquiries don't have a major effect on your credit score and these are things that are well explained in the articles on this site. I have read them and put some of the advice into practice, enjoying an increased credit score since.  And I was trained in accounting!!