Question

glant101

I sent pay to delete letters to two different creditors.
One of them (a old parking ticket) just sent me validation of the debt. I'm assuming I have to pay this in full and they will not delete it afterwards...unless there is something else I can try.

The other one (a verizon bill) sent me a letter stating that they will try to find proof that this debt is mine and if they can't within 90 days they will remove it from my credit report. This was about 15 days after I sent the PTD letter. Don't they only have 30 days to verify? Should I sent a request in to verify the debt is mine to start the clock for the 30 days? Or did it already start? Or should I just wait out the 90 days?

Most Helpful Response

Two good questions!

1.   The government is very "by the book" in this regard.  You'll pay, they will NEVER delete this.  The good news is that the credit reporting agencies settled a case with the New York Attorney General that basically states these types of bills will not be reported.  The bad news is that the agencies have 3 years to implement.  My recommendation would be to send a letter every 90 days to ask them to delete this listing that didn't derive from a debt that you "signed up for".  Also included are medical related debts...

2.  I'd wait the 90 days.  Likely you'll hear more earlier than that.  If they are saying they might delete, it is possible that they are having trouble locating information to prove you owe this debt.  Let them try.

glant101

Is there any sort of template letter for "debt I don't sign up for" available or maybe a whole thread on the topic?