Question

gizmo2113

I rented an apartment in 2007 and left the apartment due to
illness in immediate family and had to take care of family member and due to unsafe-ness of the apartment. the complex told me that the fightings, stealing, and etc was not their business even though it was on their property. Now 6 yr later it shows up on my credit as though I skipped out on lease. Attempt to call apartment and the complex and owners are now no existent. So their is no way to resolve the issue. What am I to do and am I still legally responsible for this years later. If it is non existent then who am I liable to pay or even find out who to pay

Most Helpful Response

So, nothing from them for 6 years?

You heard nothing at all from the complex or its owners for 6 years and now it shows on your credit report?  And the whole business no longer exists?   Time for some personal "detective" work, okay?

First, do a search for "Statute of Limitations for collections" and find the one for your state (since they are different in every one).  Second, go to freeannualreport.com and get all 3 credit reports which you are going to go over very thoroughly and note what entries are wrong.  You will want to file a dispute on each item that is wrong with the credit bureau reporting said item.  Likely this rental collection notice is wrong due to failure of them to contact you for payment before now and it is likely the statute of limitations has long since passed.

For your safety, check your credit reports once a year to be certain only the correct information is being reported.  That way, you'll have the correct credit score.

Hope this helps.