Question

Mskrneal

I recently filed Ch 7 & was discharged 6/15/16.
I applied for secured credit card & auto loan & was told my credit score was zero even though credit karma has me with a score of 556-565--am I applying too soon?

Wow, what a holier than thou response! Your credit score will NOT be very low for the next 10 years necessarily, it will steadily improve over time if you take corrective steps but will be very low for the first couple of years. I think you are to soon since the discharge just occurred. You probably do need to wait a few months and start with the secured card. I went through a CH 7, discharged 5 1/2 years ago, have since rebuilt with new car purchases at market interest rates, not penalty rates. Dont let someone with a judgemental attitude dissuade you from coming out of this BK. BK's are filed for a number of reasons and contrary to Mr. Snarky's response, not every filing is because someone "copped out". We never know the individual circumstances. You will be just fine if you take it slow in the beginning and focus on good debt management and credit rebuilding.

The discharge means that you are released from legal obligation to pay the debts listed in your bankruptcy.  It does not mean that you can go out and acquire more credit because you 'copped out' on the debts you owed and your credit score is going to be very low for the next ten years.  Spend the time reading the articles on this site and using the financial tools so that you can gain a good understanding of how credit works because you do not have that knowledge right now,