Question

jg3187

I paid my credit card balance down from 68% to 53% and my score dropped 43 points why?

Most Helpful Response

simple answer

While your question does not provide much in the way of facts - it all depends on how you are paying off your credit cards - Unfortunately while it may seem paying down to 53 % from 68% is nice it is still well above the recommended 30% -

What I suspect is your credit history of owing a high percentage on your total credit - even if down -  is not enough based on your history. I would suggest with stll owing 53% of your total credit - is showing YES you have paid down - but will this continue?  Does your history show you never get it down to 30% or less?

I would suggest keep paying it down - and don't worry with the score YET.   Get it down to 30% and I suspect your credit score will go up.  But keep in mind - using credit is wise,  but keeping the total at 10% or less shows you are on top of the issue.. at over 50% -- well sorry to say - can be seen as not as on top of the issue as should be.

Your ideal credit card usage should not exceed 10% and you should be able to pay the credit cards in full every month so you save on interest charges. I recommend taking the time to read the articles on this site since the purpose of Credit Karma is TEACHING how credit works and how to improve your score.