Question

atladam23

I owe 7k to the IRS and 10k in CC debt. I plan to pay it off quickly but who should I pay first?
With a new job that I start in the next few weeks and the car that I will now have paid off I can afford to pay $1,000 per month towards this debt. My interest rates on my credit cards are all very high. Average APR across all cards in 23%. I want to get my CC utilization down below 30% which should increase my credit from a 648.

I also plan to get out of debt fully except for student loans in the next 12-18 months. Who should I pay first to save the most in interest and fees?

If I pay the IRS $500 a month do I actually need to sign up for an installment plan?

Most Helpful Response

I would pay the IRS, then any government student loans, then the other debts. The government has a lot more power to make your life miserable! True, high interest rates are bad, but no where near as bad as what the IRS can do to you!

Yes, pay IRS first.  They won't go away, but other debts can.

NFCC can help you.

You should vist the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (http://nfcc.org/)  They can help you prioritize you debts and make a plan.  Great organiztion and free or low cost.

Personally I would take care of the IRS first.  They can make things more difficult for you then the credit card companies.  But that is just my opinion.

IRS and debt

Id call the IRS and try to get into a deferred payment plan.. If not, pay them entirely first... If you suceed.. pay BOTH...