Question

shuddles78628

I need to remove a hard inquiry on my report
A hard inquiry appeared on my credit report that I did not authorize. I contacted the company and they do not have record of the inquiry (they say). This inquiry dropped my score significantly and knocked me out of a home refinance. I need to know how to remove an unauthorized hard inquiry from my credit reports.

It's gotta be something else.

"This inquiry dropped my score significantly and knocked me out of a home refinance"

Granted, you don't want to mess with your credit while in the process of working a new mortgage.  But One hard inquiry???  It's got to be something else!  Hard inquiries have a very minor impact on your overall score.  One, maybe two points!

Regardless whether or not that company made an inquiry, it stays on your report for 2 years and can't be removed.  However, I find it hard to believe that a single inquiry would drop your score that much that you couldn't refinance your home, especially if your score was high to begin with.

Unless your credit was so marginal that an inquiry would tip the scales against you, you need to consult directly with the bank you're working with.  They may tell you one thing (too many inquiries) but the truth is there is something else going on that you may not be aware of.