Question

Gdukot

I need to close a credit card that is driving me up the wall
I have a credit one bank visa with about an 850 limit. They charge 9 to 12 bucks a month for a yearly service charge etc. I have forgot about it twice in the last couple of months. I paid the bill and I have a 0 balance. I forgot it the second time in Feb and I was not able to get accesses to the account online until today and could not make a payment in the auto system. I got 15 collection calls in less than 4 hours because it was 10 days late. I have over 14000 in credit. I really don't need this card. If I close it out will it hurt my score. I am at 740. The interest and service charges are annoying.

Credit One Bank Visa

They're charging you $9-12/mo for service fees??  That's $108-144/yr, which is absurd!!!

Check into some of the other credit cards on this site and see if you can get one.  Then, I'd shut this card down (but only after getting a different card)!!  Yes, your credit rating might temporarily dip for a bit, but it will be better than possibly having collection calls reported because you forgot to pay the monthly fees on a $0 balance.