Question

OvonAngel

I need some advice
I have a debt in collections from an apartment complex. I received a copy of my lease which states the amount I was to pay and a ledger with additional charges that I did not know about. The collection agency has no answers for the additional charges and plans to get back with me in 30 days. Should I seek legal advice in this matter and are there any suggestions.

Most Helpful Response

You don't mention how old this is...

If indeed, this is an old collection from a long past apt. I would wait on them to reply with more detail on the charges.  I would think that the other charges are probably from cleaning the apt or damages/repairs that they claim you did to the building.  If they can not verify the charges you may be in luck and they may remove them.

Since you say that they supplied you with a copy of your lease You will probably be unable to dispute that part of it.  Now that you have been in contact with them, you will have to deal with it. The clock has been reset on this account so they will have 7 years to collect and you want to get this off your report ASAP.  Start saving up so you can pay this off.

I would suggest that once they get back to you about the extra charges, No matter the outcome, that you do an "offer and compromise" with a "Pay to delete". Google those for more info on how they work. or find the articles about them here on CK. 

DO NOT call them, You will have to write a letter to the Collections Manager. (Only one that can agree to a an offer)  They paid pennys on the dollar for the account so you have some wiggle room on what you offer.  I'd offer to settle for 60% to 70% of the original balance to start.  Tell them you'll pay a lump sum to close the account and Have it removed from your report. Do not send any money until you have an aggreement in writing. Give them 30 days to reply, If they haven't follow up with a second letter offering just a few dollars more.  It may take a couple of months but in the end you can most likely get this removed from your account for less than what they are asking for. 

Thank you for your advice the debt is 5 years old my rant was 507dollars from 10/07 to 9/09 they added an additional 78 dollars so the person who is handling the matter could not explain the additional charges this 78 dollars was added for almost 2 years when the lease agreement clearly states 507.00

Very old debt

The debt was actually due to come my credit in August however I need to move from current living situation and I needed to get this cleared up. My lease says. 507.00 and for 2 years the added this additional 78 dollars that I was unaware of