Question

LonelyGirl72

I need help with my credit
My credit is bad and has been since 1990. How can I fix this mess that I have with my credit.

My advice is to review your credit reports to find out what's on them.  You get a free credit report once a year from all three major credit reporting agencies (Equifax, Transunion and Experian).  Most (not all) derogatory entries like collections, charge-offs, etc., will remain on your credit report for not less than seven years.  There could also be entries that are erreroneous and don't even belong to you.  Start there and then dispute any information that is over the statute of limitations or you don't recognize as being yours.

There's a wealth of information on Credit Karma's website on how to rebuild your credit.  Rebuilding your credit is not a quick fix so don't expect it to go from bad to good overnight.  It's also going to take some work and perseverence on your part.  But, it can be done!  I did it but it took a long time.  You can do it too.  Good luck!  By the way, about.com also has some great information on credit.