Question

marcie13

I need better credit!
My credit score is a 446. I've never had anything except a prepaid phone in my name. After coming on credit karma, my sister and I found out that a family member is taking things out in our names such as cable, phone companies, rental cars, electricity, water bills, and a ton more. They are ruining our credit. I really don't want to get them in trouble, but I don't know what to do. I'm trying to buy a house for my son and I. I'm working on paying off all this debt that they have put me in, but it just isn't working. Any ideas that will help?

Most Helpful Response

You don't want to get family members in trouble for taking out credit in your name, you're paying this stuff off, and your credit is ruined. Taking out credit in someone else's name with their social security number is fraud and identity theft! You should call the police and file a report. And then dispute all the charges with the credit companies. If the police and credit companies want to know why you waited so long, just say you were hoping your relatives would come clean and pay them, and you really didn't want to get them in trouble. Now it's gotten to the point you can't manage it anymore.  How long has this been going on? Obviously your relatives have bad credit or they probably would't have resorted to this.  Make them pay the bills. Why are you buying your son a house? Let him get credit in his own name and buy one. Your low credit score means any type of loan you get will be high interest. I'm not trying to personally attack you, but you need to grow a spine and stand up for yourself. Your social security number is something you should guard with your life. You may even wish to speak to an attorney on this. Go to the United States Department of Justice and read about the ramifications of identity fraud.

mindjazz

Meant to say go to the website of the US Department of Justice.

marcie13

My son is two, i'm not buying him a house, i'm trying to get a place for the two of us. I've already talked to people about the situation and all they did was put a fraud alert on my SS number, the police department told me there was nothing they could do and to contact Social Security, well they sent me somewhere else and then the other place sent me to another. I've talked to a lawyer and they're saying I need proof that it isn't my sister and I doing it, and that even though I don't have the same address as the one on the open accounts I still have to prove I've never lived there.

My suggestion is to confront your  family that is ruining your credit and have them pay off  everything the have put in your name. If that doesnt work, then i would report them to the creditors so they can fix the problem.

Cut the strings

You really need to get those bills off your name. There is no other choice but to shut those ultilities off. They wont really do anything however you will have pay off the balances unless you involve the police. If they have those in your name then they have ruined there own credit and certainly will yours. You can go to your bank and ask them for a secured loan. At a 446 you wont get an unsecured so you will have to pull $500 out your account and use it to secure a $500 signiture loan. This will build your credit up as long as you dont default on anything along the repayment.

That is 100% illegal by the definition of fraud without your consent.  It may be family, but my only advice is to contact the authorities.

Cleaning up this mess!

Do you find out the accounts she ran? Did you talk to those accounts and closed them? Have you confronted the Sister yet? Are you working on a repayment plan with her and/or when you reported it let them know it was her? Yes it is illegal what she did, but your the one suffering for it. For now dont worry about the house. Get this done and clearing up this mess first. When your done cleaning up this mess, come back here and use their tools to get your credit score rebuilt. Also, when your ready to look into buying a house, got to D.R. Horton. They have a very good program on getting your credit score up and leading you to get positive credit  more than what Credit Sesame or Kredit Kharma can offer. The plus is they use to charge a fee but now dont charge any fee. They in hope once you get to the approval credit rating (sometimes above 620 or higher) will work with you on getting their houses. Check it out on their website.'