Question

bonehead1146

I need advice on improving my credit. But I am totally clueless
I have barely anything on my credit report. However my credit score is extremely low. Low 600's. I need help. I will need to buy a new car soon and would like better credit before that time. I need serious advice. I am totally clueless. I have no credit cards. No outstanding debts that I know about. 1 in the past. But has sense been closed. Other than that, just my regular monthly bills

Improving score

If you only have 1 derogatory remark, you can probably make large strides in your credit score just by adding open credit lines.

1) Get a copy of all three credit reports

2) Payoff any debts that are not in collections (an account moving from past due to collections will have an enormous negative impact on your score). 

3) Get some credit! This is what worked for me: At the time I started, I had a score similar to yours. With a score that low, it is probably not worth trying to get an unsecured card just yet. I got 2 secured cards, one with a $300 limit and one with a $500 limit. I use the $300 for day to day expenses only for the last couple of days till payday. I use the $600 card for my Netflix and Hulu accounts. After you get the cards, find out the due date and the date they report to the credit bureaus. Pay both cards ALMOST off before the due date and do not use them again until after the report date. This will keep your Utilization at almost 0%. 

NOTE: Do not pay the cards completely off. I always leave the change (Balance is $245.57, I pay $245).

Good luck,

Dan