Question

Average21yrold

I messed up bad and can't see a way out
I am in about 8 thousand dollars of debt and I work paycheck to paycheck I don't know how to get out I can't get a loan since I've missed a payment on 2 of my cards last month. I usually paid above the minimum but after that missed payment I my monthly minimum went up and I can't pay it. I was thinking about bankruptcy or asking my father if I could use my savings but then I wouldn't have money to continue community college. I'm lost and I really don't want to be in this situation for long.

Most Helpful Response

Bankruptcy is a ****-poor solution to your problem. Can you get an extra job? Something very part-time that works with your school schedule? Waiting tables is always good, or odd jobs on the side, such as house cleaning, auto detailing, yard work, newspaper delivery, etc. for a short time may be all that is needed to get you back on the right track. I would see if you can borrow from your savings to get caught up and avoid more late payments, and pay your savings back with the money you get from your extra side job(s). It also might be prudent to drop a class if necessary. You don't want your grades to dive while you're working extra to pay off debt. 
I don't know if you work full-time already, but a few more hours a week won't kill you, I'm sure. Think outside the 40-hour-week box. A couple generations ago folks worked two or three jobs to make ends meet, so there's no reason it can't be done now.

If you work your butt off to get out of this mess, you will learn a valuable lesson from it. Consider yourself lucky that you weren't in deeper when you learned this lesson, as in behind on mortgage payments, car payments, and with kids depending on you.