Question

MLGW

I lowered my credit card utilization, and my score decreased 12 points- shouldnt it increase

Most Helpful Response

What?

I recently paid down credit cards that had over 30% utilization. It took about 3 weeks for my credit score to increase (by a tiny amount), and to date no change in the credit report card rating. Its been two weeks since I've been below 30% utilization with no adjustments to my rating to reflect that except for the tiny increase that took 3 weeks.

Credit Karma may be education, but it certainly isn't advertised as "don't hang much on it."

It feels to me that increasing a credit rating isn't a priority with accounts and credit bureaus, while decreasing a credit rating is. I've read that Credit Karma only reports what the credit bureaus report to Credit Karma, TransUnion specifically. I think its better for members that Credit Karma includes all 3 credit bureaus.

If your utilization is still over 30% then you won't see an increase.  If your utilization is now below 30%, then you should see a score increase, assuming that nothing negative has taken place recently (late pays, new collection, etc.).  However, the score you see here is just for your education, so don't hang too much on it.