Question

oomfer

I kept getting calls from a blocked number about "unpaid" debt and formal papers. Is it a scam?
I have received 2 calls now from a blocked number. They leave voicemails saying they have formal papers they have to serve my current address or “verified" place of employment. I am a full time student. I do not have "verified” employment because I do not have any employment. They say I need to call back to discuss the "pending actions being filed against" me. The number they give me is 866-471-0096. I called and said I wanted to be removed from their list and the woman kept saying she is not the one calling me. I then said well who do I call then to get them to stop? She said herself. She looks up my number and tries saying that I have debt I need to pay and they are trying to take me to court. I told her I have no debt and no agency gives "courtesy calls" if they plan to sue you. They just sue you. She said I was being argumentative and hung up on me.
I called back and asked for a supervisor. The same lady told me she is the supervisor. I asked, “So you are the only one that sits there all day answering all of the calls? There is no one else to speak to?” She replied yes and then said when I calm down another day I can call her back.

Are they using your name or just leaving the message?  I've had a coujple calls like that in the past and that is "skip tracers" trying to find someone so they can collect on a bill.  Call these people back and tell them you have been getting these messages and that they don't make sense to you since you are a student.  Give them the phone number.  Likely they will look that up and may ask your name or if you are, or know, the party they're looking for (they might give the name).  I've had these people apologize and they remove the number from their list.   

Did you google the number? Sounds like it is probably a scam, but some debt collection companies are known to use tactics like this and that is illegal. If you determine that it is an actual debt collection company, keep all evidence of them calliing (messages, caller id photos, etc.) and call a consumer law attorney that handles FDCPA cases. "fair debt collection practices act"