Question

MattRoofe

I just turned 19. No credit at all. Need advice on what i should do to get it up.
i have had medical bills. would those effect my score? right now it says I have a "thin file" and no score is available right now. I never paid attention in personal finance class in high school although now I wish I had. I want to get a credit card for emergency situations but already got turned down twice. any advice would be great.

Most Helpful Response

Hello, I started my credit at age 18.  I now have a 768. @ age 53. lol.  What I did to start off my credit, was this.   I bought a small tv at Montgemery Ward for 250 dollars, with payment of 18.00 a mo for x amount of months. I paid 25.00 a month on it until it was paid off. also paid it off before the due date. Then I applied for a signuature loan of 500.00 and did the same. A (signuature loan is a loan thur a credit union or bank) I just kept doing the same, but got bigger loans and repeating the process.  Just make sure you HAVE A JOB to repay the loans or credit cards.  Just start off small and work your way up. When you start off small, this will let your creditors know that you're not trying to " jump in the water head first only tring to get you feet wet" :-)  It takes time to build up your credit, & that's what you need to do. Take your time, and it will grow on it's on, if you pay more than what is expected, and before the due date.  My daddy told me when I first got my credit started,  "If you pay  your bills on time, your'e have great credit one day, & it will make you look like you're wealthy.  But if you don't pay your bills on time your'e have bad credit and it will haunt you the rest of your life. I remembered his saying cause I didn't wont it haunting me lol lol.     Hope this helps you out.

I'm 19 years old too, almost 20. I opened my first credit card when I was 18 and have been increasing my credit score and history as much as possible. My first credit card was a Discover Credit Card, I would recommend it because, most sites say discover is the easiest to get approved for. If you have tried to open a card within 6 months then, I would say hold off until 6 months have passed and try a discover card. I have 4 credit cards now, and I was approved for my Amex 2 months ago. It takes time to develop a credit history, just make sure you have a source of income, because you won't get approved for a credit card if you do not have money coming in.

Hope I helped!

i am 19 too and having the same probs but my score is 692 i have cell phone bill, tv, internet bills too so they are going up. dont keep apply for cards because you will get denied, i do too. but i have 2 300$ credit limit cards for jewelry and have been paying them every month which also helps by paying on time and never being late. your best option is to get a secure credit card. a secure credit card is where you can depoist your own money on it and use it like a credit card and will help your credit also. not much more to tell ya unless you get a co signer that will help you get a loan 

probably the best thing to do is start with a prepaid credit card, us it but keep it paid way down $500 card keep it below $250 but pay regularly and before the due date.  Watch the credit sharks, they keep you in debt & only report if you are late.  Get those med bills paid off as like any other neg data they will hurt your score.

hey man im 21 so i know what your going through... although my score is 750 now. If you have a bank acount with say wells fargo or any other company try through them.. You need a job though.. When i got my CC like 2 1/2 years ago i had a limit of $800 anf now its at like $2100. What i do is say if i need gas, i pay for the gas on my credit card, then i pay it off with my money before the intrest kicks in. Even if you have like a few hundred dollars on the card every month it wont put your score down.. in fact it could help just keep it at like 10% or so of your limit. So if you have $500 limit having 50 bucks on it at the end of the month wont be so bad... your APR will probably in thw 20's so 20% of 50 is what? $10? so itll be 60 the next month.. if you have a job that should be pretty easy to manage... if you dont have a job DONT GET A CREDIT CARD.. Things could get out of hand. If all else fails try a secure credit card, but i dont know much about them.