Question

Dicru210

I just received my social I'm trying to build credit how do I start.
I just became a resident. I want to start building my credit. But I cannot get a credit card any where

Most Helpful Response

It takes time.

First off, read the articles on this site so you can understand credit better.  You will have to begin with a secured credit card and that topic is covered, too.  I don't recommend jumping into credit until you have at least a basic understanding of how it works, or you may find yourself in financial difficulty. Proceed cautiously, and that is a smart idea for everyone when it comes to credit. 

A secured card will give you a very small credit limit. You will get accepted for one, but the interest will be super high! Use it once or pay one of your bills automatically with this card. If you pay this card in full every month, you won't have to worry about interest. Some cards might even be interest free for 6 months or so. Some cards will also automatically turn your "secured" card into an "unsecured" automatically for 6-12 months of on time payments. Open a checking account somewhere (if you don't have one already) and tell them that you are interested in a credit card. Usually as a customer, they will try to build a relationship with you. This would probably be your best bet to start out. A good relationship with a bank can be important in the long run as well. They will give you accounts and incentives. Be careful with "Requirements" and any maintenance/ monthly fees with checking accounts.