Question

Adgirl1969

I inherited my mother's mortgage after her death. Why aren't payments made used towards my credit?
When my mother passed away in 2010 I inherited her home along with the mortgage. I am unable to assume the loan due to my credit, however, since that time I have made the house payment of $980.00 every month for the last four years on the first of the month. (Direct debit from my checking account). It has never been late. Is there a way for me to report that on my credit report? Obviously, it would have a huge impact on my score. Thank you.

Most Helpful Response

Until the Mortgage and/or Deed of Trust with the lender is out of your mother's name and in your name, there is no way for you to "get credit" for making payments to that mortgage.  (I work for a mortgage company.)  You can't change that until you re-finance into your name.  Sorry.

yukteswar

What if I  have a house given to me by the new Transfer of Death Deed law? In order for it to show as a positive mark on my credit score, do I still have to refinance it or will the mortgage company just put my name on the deed as though I had assumed the mortgage? And is there a scenerio where it actually lowers my score?

Does the lender report to TransUnion? If not, the account will not appear on your TransUnion credit report. You can always contact the lender to ask which bureaus they report to, and request that they report to additional bureaus. They are not obligated to report to all 3 bureaus, but it might be worth asking.