Question

Angellia5912

I identified cc
There is a cc listed under my credit report that I did not open. Granted there is no balance and the account has never been used. To my understanding it help because it means my credit life is longer. However it's hurting me because my credit report says I'm using too much or my credit card under the utilization tabs. The report shows that I have close to 400 credit avail, that's with the unused account that I didn't open. So it shows I'm using more than half of my cc when in fact I only have half the credit avail than what they think I do. So my question is, do I close the card that's never been used that I didn't open? Or leave it open? If I close it won't it hurt my score more? Is there a way to disputed it without it hurting me?

Unidentifiable**

Typo from the top title

Technically, any incorrect info found on your reports should be disputed with the credit bureaus reporting it. Transunion, Equifax and Experian all have websites where you can dispute incorrect info found on your reports. However, in your case removing the account that you believe is not yours would cause damage to your scores, since it is helping your available credit. Maybe the best action here, would be to get your balance paid down or off on the other card before disputing the card that you don't believe is yours. Perhaps it is yours and you forgot about it, if it is not being used by anyone then it seems that may be a possibility, if that were the case, I would just leave it there, until you have built a robust credit profile.