Question

Posted in Taxes

Melmann420

I havent filed taxes in years , how do i find out where i stand

Most Helpful Response

Hopefully the IRS owes you a refund. If you're due a refund, the IRS doesn't care if you file taxes because that's money they get to keep. You also need to find out if you need to file state taxes. 

Melmann420

Oh yes i do owe the state , that where it all went wrong back in 96.  Thank you 

I had a neighbor with the same problem and my recommendation was to check with a licensed tax consultant who is also an "enrolled agent" so you can get this straightened out.  Coming forward now rather than waiting for them to find you is going to work in your favor.  You may face a fine for not filing but that should be expected.  The consultant will also help you work a workable payment plan with the taxing agencies.  Despite the jokes and movies about the IRS, they really will work with you. I recommend you get started on this right away. 

I've been working off and on for the last 5 years, not making much either, so I haven't filed taxes. I am pretty sure I don't owe anything, and I am thinking of finally filing before the end of this year, just to see what happens. So my question is how many years back can i file for?