Question

AlwaysJaneen

I have to make a major purchase. Better to use only/new card or finance w/contract for credit repair
I have a new job (3 months, expected to continue long-term.) Because of it, I need to upgrade my phone/laptop situation. I recently applied for and got a credit card, I haven't made any purchases. Is it better for building my credit to buy the device with my new card or to finance it through the place I will be obliged to contract with?

Get separate financing for it if you can, you want multiple lines of credit in order to grow credit, plus if you put it on your one and only card, it will give you a very high utilization of your available credit and that will cause your scores to drop.

Agreed with TryingToUnderstand! Unless you have a very generous CL, you will always want to stay under 20% utilization. I personally limit it to 5-10% max. Multiple CL demonstrate your ability to handle various types of credit and builds experience. Never go over 20% of the CL and if possible pay the balance off as soon as the statement comes. If you cant pay it off, pay as MUCH over the minimum as you can afford without taking food off the table. Never pay just the minimum amount each month.