Question

backformore

I have some old charge offs from 12/10 but 1 has a balance still. How can i see if it was sold?
A few charge offs from this same bad stretch show as closed and balance zero, but this one has a large balance still. I am beyond the SOL, and it seems odd they never changed it to zero. It is showing in my credit utilization....and removing the balance would be a huge bump.

If there is no collection account showing for this account and it still shows a balance then it may not have been sold. I understand that the balance affects your utilization in a negative way, but I would not contact them about this account unless you are prepared to pay it immediately in full. What could happen if you contact them, is that first they may update the account with no change to the amount owed and the update would drop your scores if it has not updated in a while and secondly, you may "remind" them of this account and a collection may soon pop up on your reports for this account. I would keep quiet about it and don't wake the sleeping dogs. Your call though.