Question

Posted in Taxes

Okbonbon

I have several tax liens and some are related to my husbands business how do I handle these

If your in a community property state...

At some point in your tax filings, you are listed as an owner of the business. If you file joint taxes with your husband where he filed business taxes then you are on the associated tax lien.  Generally you would have to go back to the Feds and prove to them that you are not liable and that you had no interest in the business.  Thats hard to do for a married couple. 

I was stuck in the same situation with a family business I managed. When my parents retired, I began filing the tax paper work. I ended up holding the cake when both my parents passed on, even though I was not the listed owner of the company. It took 14 years to pay off and clear everything off my report, Hope you have better luck than I did.