Question

bradpjaxx

I have recently received a letter from an Attorney for a Payment
I have recently received a letter from an Attorney for a Payment that i have know nothing about. The letter states that there was an outstanding balance on a car loan from 2008, this car loan ( from My understanding ) was paid off by my insurance company from an accident claim. If there was a balance due, i was never notified about it from the lender.

I have asked for Documented proof from the original lender of what was received and what was owed.

Does anyone know how this is legal from this point? Shouldn't the lender have made some attempt to notify me that there was an outstanding balance if there was one?

How is it even possible that they are even able to do this from 6 years ago with no notifications?

I do not see this judgement or derogatory mark anywhere on my 3 credit reports.

Most Helpful Response

Beware!  Sound like you have a scammer on  you.  First, the statute of limitations on whether or not they can sue has probably expired, but just Google that phrase with the name of your state and you can see for sure.  Is what they are doing legal?  Probably not.  Visit FTC.gov to see what collectors are allowed and not allowed to do.  You can file a claim with them as well against this group.  Another good website is Consumer Financial Protection Bureau www.consumerfinance.gov.  They have a complaint database as well.  Both FTC and CFPB will sue debt collectors for unlawful practices and if successful, they will reward YOU with cash money.  Check it out and best of luck!