Question

GailaRick02

I have over $4000 in credit cards should I just file for bankruptcy?

That's not very much debt. Set up a budget to see where your dollars go. There a numerous articles here and other places online to understanding debt and paying it off. 

GailaRick02

Money is tight and can't pay all at once. I was thinking on getting a personal loan and paying off all debt?  Also, any help there are credit cards that were charged off/negotiated paid off back in 2009/2010 and they are still reporting to my credit report this year. How is that possible? Are they allowed to do that? I also have credit inquires that should have also been removed earlier this year but are still there as well. Thank you! 

Your closed accounts will continue to be reported for about 7 years.

If you have charge offs; I would think your chances of obtaining an unsecured personal loan are slim, or would come at a high interest rate. That interest rate would still probably be less than the credit card interest rate. 

I was in the same situation years ago.  The credit card companies wouldn't work with me, so I contacted Lexington Law and for a fee; they negotiated to close my credit cards and had the interest rates reduced to 4% and 6%.  A credit repair company might be an option for you.

GailaRick02

What about if I transfer all my credit cards to one card, would this also help me?  Credit karma offers this as an option for me but don't know if this is best.  If this will help would it also bring my credit score down being it will show my numerous credit cards as closed and/or transfer balance? 

Most zero interest or zero balance transfer cards are available for people with an excellent credit rating. Otherwise fees vary from 3% to 5% for transferring balances. You'll need to read the fine print if you plan to transfer balances.  There are some excellent articles on this website and many other sites. You should read up on credit to educate yourself.

Transferring balances to one card will probably lower your score because the card utilization will be high. However, if it's at a lower interest rate than what you're paying now; it will help you to pay the principal balance down faster. 

If you plan on transferring balances, then you must NOT use the cards you're transferring the balances FROM.  You can keep the accounts open to maintain your credit availability.  If you use the cards you've transferred the balances from, you'll just increase your debt and never get ahead.  Cut those cards up if you find it difficult to resist the temptation to use them.