Question

falsereporting

I have one item in collections and have no idea what it is for? I need to know
I have an item in collections. To my knowledge, nothing should be in collections. I was in a car accident and if this charge is related to that car incident it should not be against my credit. I need to address this. This is false information on my report which is lowering my score.

First, pull your complete credit report from www.annualcreditreport.com.  They  should list all creditor/collector addresses in the back of the report.  Then send letters to all three bureaus and the collector asking them to provide validation that this is your account.  Be persistent but polite, it may take 2 or 3 letters.  Best of luck!