Question

1awesomemomma

I have no credit history, how can I build my credit when I can't get approved for anything??
I've never had any credit cards or loans or anything. I've been a stay at home mom for almost 11 years. I just looked up my credit score and it's saying I don't have one because I have a "thin file". Tells me that I need to build my credit, gave me three cards to try and none of them would approve me. So how am I supposed to build my credit if I can't get approved for anything??

Most Helpful Response

Does your Husband have any Credit cards?   If he was you add you as an authorized user that would help out alot.  You would not have to use the cards at all.  Then you would have a much better chance of getting a card or two on your own.   

Or you could go out and get a secured Credit Card.

Credit History takes Time, so does your Credit Score.

I would go the secured credit card route

Another poster below me mentioned this and I think it's a great idea. What kind of cards did you apply for? If its an unsecured type then it makes sense because they have higher requirements. Try Capital One secured card or Open Sky secured credit card since its easy to get approved. These recommendations should be on your profile here at Karma, check it out. I need my score to improve so I went the Cap One secured card route and put $300 down. Good luck to you...

Reply

I'm no longer married. I know I have medical bills from years ago that are on my credit report but I don't have the money to pay them off to make my credit a bit better. I have a "thin file" so I pretty much have no credit. And with that comes all the disappointments of not being approved for anything. I've tried credit cards, car loans, but to no avail I'm denied every time. I just don't knw what to do and I really need to boost my credit.