Question

Stagehound

I have no credit cards but lots of collection items, need to increase my credit quickly...Help
The main things on my credit report are medical collections. What is the best thing to do to raise my score?
I've been paying on my student loan every month for the last five months.
I'm self-employed (sporadically) so no steady income except my husband's. Any ideas?? Thanks

Most Helpful Response

Regarding your student loan, is it a Federal SL?  If so, have you looked into the possiblity of getting an Income-Based Repayment Plan?  With your sporadic income, you may qualify and you'd be shocked at how little you may have to pay every month.  If you are interested in exploring that, I recommend going to www.crestslc.com.  No cost to check it out.

Hello there. A few questions first...

1. What is your credit score? And specify whih score you are giving please.

2. How many open collection items do you have?

I would start off by pulling all three credit reports and disputing things you don't recognize. Also dispute things that are past expiration if you have any. 

If you cannot dispute any item just contact the collection agency and offer to pay only if they delete the item from your credit report. Get it in writing first before paying. I would work to clear all these open collections and get a secured credit card to build up some positive credit history. 

jwsister

And remember that student loans remain collectable until paid in full.  They cannot be discharged in bankruptcy and do not disappear until paid.