Question

12bobcat

i have credit cards that i do not use can i close the card and will it help my credit score

Most Helpful Response

Yes you can close cards that you do not use, and No it will not help your credit score but could very well hurt it.

I have 12 Credit Cards all paid off,   only use one and pay it off as I make purchases on it. trying to keep as close to 0 utilization as I can for a few months,  so far one month down and more to go.   Do I plan on closing any cards nope never,  will I use all of these cards in a year,  nope I won't.  

Why have them then,  well I play the Credit Game,   use a little credit here and a little credit there,  and pay it off.   Never pay intrest every.  if you look at my profile I did a test on payment history,    sent 1.25 to a few creditcards that I don't use and it showed up as payment history,   so I increased the number of payments I have made on cards I'm not using.  they end up sending me back a check 2 months later,  and do it all over again.  did my score go down no,  did it go up,  a few point not much.   your mileage may vary.

hope that helps

The credit game involves having a large amount of credit available but using only small amounts of it at a time.  The more available credit with an excellent payment record, the higher one's credit score.  Love playing this game, which I would not have know how to play well without the advice of this site.  Read the articles and learn for yourself.