Question

radorix

I have been summoned to appear in court
About a year ago I had my car repossessed. I haven't heard anything about it since. Today I got a certified letter in the mail ordering me to appear in court "to be examined and answer concerning your property,assets and income" I don't even know how much it sold for or how much I owe. The court is also 3 hours away. Do I need an attorney for this? Do I have to appear in court or is this something they can do over the phone? I don't know what I even need to do. There isn't even an address to the court on the paper. I'm just assuming it's 3 hours away since that's where the finance company and their attorney is from. What do I do? I don't make much money so I can't pay out much.

Hmmm...my BS detector is going off like crazy! It sounds extremely suspicious to me. No address for the courthouse you're supposed to appear in? Okay. If I were you, I'd set it aside--after THOROUGHLY scrutinizing it for anything that may reveal its true source. In other words, if you can't find anything in it that actually points to something legitimate, such as a court case number, a court location, the name of the company that's supposedly taking this action against you, a phone number to call for information, etc., I'd set it aside and assume you're the target of a scam. Whatever you do, DO NOT succumb to the many scams people fall for these days, like taking cash to pay them in person for this supposed debt or to get this supposed legal case off your back.

I agree with what was already said, but if there is a courthouse name on the letter and it is a legitimate courthouse, contact them to see if they have a case coming up for you. If you do really have court, make sure that you go, if you don't appear you automatically lose. Whole thing sounds suspicious though, but double check with the REAL courthouse to be sure.